An automation is a series of actions and communications that are triggered by a contact's behavior.
With automations, you can create the perfect marketing funnel to welcome new contacts, nurture leads and customers, or even move contacts from one list to another - all hands free!
Here we'll cover all the pieces of an automation including the different triggers, actions and communications you can use.
Plus, we'll also go over all of the specific step-by-step instructions on how to:
- Create an automation
- Add your actions, communications, and goals
- Edit an automation
- Deactivate/reactivate an automation
- Troubleshoot automation issues
Before Getting Started
Please be sure you fully build, proof, and test your entire automation before driving traffic or sending leads through the funnel.
Edits are not visible to contacts that are already traveling through the automation, they are only visible to contacts who trigger the funnel after the changes are made.
There are four elements to building an automation:
- Triggers - User-based actions that start your automation
- Actions -The active ingredients, aka everything that happens in the funnel such as subscribing contacts to another list or adding tags
- Communications - Your content and messaging, such as an email or SMS message
- Goals - Logic-based checkpoints within your funnel that help customize the journey for each contact, and determine what happens next
|Subscribes to list||When a contact subscribes to a specific list of your choosing the automation will begin|
|Submits a form||When a user subscribes to a list via a pop-up the automation will begin|
|Tags Added / Removed||When a tag is added to or removed from a contact's profile the automation will begin|
|Event Triggered||If you are using our event tracking/beacon feature, a visit to the page with the event tracking code will begin the automation|
|Custom field added||When a custom field is added via a pop-up or integration|
|Email Campaign Opened||When a contact opens a specific campaign|
|Email Campaign Clicked||When a contact clicks a link within a specific campaign|
|Another Automation||This option will allow you to trigger this automation from an action in a different automation|
|Send notification||Allows you to create and send an email or SMS message to your audience (as well as internal notifications)|
|Update Contact Property|| Includes subscribing or unsubscribing your contact from a list, as well as adding/removing tags from a contact.
Please NoteIf unsubscribing the contact from the list the automation triggered off of, make sure to add this as the last action in the funnel
|Update Automation||Add contacts in your audience to a new automation once they reach this point in your funnel, end the current automation, or end another automation.|
|Webhook||Allows you to send data to another service via API|
|Wait||This action holds the contact at a certain point in the automation based on the wait time chosen.|
||Create an email to send to your user|
||Send an SMS to your user, provided that you have their phone number|
|Notification||Notify someone on your team that a user has reached this far in the funnel|
| Conditional Split
||Allows you to add segment your audience dependent on certain conditions|
||Allows you to set a goal for contacts. If the conditions of your goal are reached, the automation stops for that contact|
Create an Automation
Our Automations builder is equipped with AutoSave which saves your progress automatically after each action you take
- Navigate to Automations → New Automation
- You can choose from our pre-designed automation templates, or build your own. For this example, we'll build our own, so go ahead and choose Start from Scratch
- Set your automation name and click Done
- You can click the pen icon to rename your automation at any time
- Select Click here to add a trigger to choose the starting point for your automation from the available options in the toolbar. In this example we'll choose Subscribes to a list
- After choosing your trigger, specify any trigger settings and click Done
If you choose the automation to trigger off of a tag, you will need to specify the sender profile ("From" name and email address) that emails will be sent from within the automation.
Add Your Actions, Communications and Goals
- Once you've set up your trigger, click the plus sign (+) and select Send Message from the Actions section
- Choose the type of message to send (email, SMS or notification). In this example, we'll do Send Email
- Select Create New Email
- Use the Send Email toolbar to build out your message (name, subject, preheader, sender profile and email content) then click Save
- Once you click Save to finalize the draft you created, be sure to Publish your email, and then click Done
Any emails that are unpublished when the automation is triggered will be skipped by all contacts who reach that step, so be sure your emails are fully published before activating.
- After every communication, you should always add a wait to give your audience time to open and engage with the message. You can do this by clicking the plus sign below your last action, and selecting Wait from the Timing category.
- Specify the wait time you'd like to set (we recommend 24 hours between each email) and click Done
- Repeat steps 2-7 as needed to add Send Email, Wait and any other actions you'd like
- Decide on any goals (or conditional splits) you'd like to use within your automation
- Once you have completed your automation be sure to set the funnel from Inactive to Active
- As long as you see the Automation activated successfully message, you're done!
For subsequent Send Email actions, you'll also see the option to Select previous email and choose from other messages created within this automation.
Campaigns or emails created in other automations are not available here, however they can be found further along in the email design process if you saved them as a custom template, or if they were sent previously.
Now, any new contacts who meet your trigger requirements will start moving through the automation!
Edit an Automation
Once you've created an automation, you can always go back and modify any setting that was added!
If you make edits to an active automation that contacts are currently traveling through, these contacts will not receive the edits. Edits will only be visible to new contacts once they join the automation.
- To edit emails with in your automation, click on the specific email that you would like to edit.
- A new toolbar will appear on the right, click on Edit
- To add to your automation, click on the plus sign (+) under or above where you would like the new action to go
- Then follow the prompts to select new actions and modify them as needed
- Click on the action that you would like to delete
- An "X" will appear in the top right corner of the action that you have selected. Click this to remove the action
- You will then be asked to confirm the removal of the action
Deactivate/Reactivate an Automation
You are able to deactivate your automation to save the content for later, rather than deleting all that hard work!
- Start by navigating to the Automations tab
- Next, select "..." and click Deactivate from the drop down
- If you ever want to restart the flow, simply click on that same "..." and select Activate
If you deactivate an active automation that contacts are currently traveling through, it pauses the entire funnel, stopping each member of your audience exactly where they left off.
If you reactivate an automation, each contact will restart the flow from the point they left off when the funnel was previously active.
Automation isn't triggering
If your funnel is still inactive, the automation cannot trigger.
Activate your automation by toggling the status bar inside the builder to Active and your flow will begin for any new contacts that meet your trigger settings!
Emails aren't sending
If an email is still in draft form, contacts will bypass that step and not receive your message.
Publish drafts by clicking into any email block that shows the draft status, then hit Publish Email in the sidebar menu to start sending your messages!
Conditional split isn't working
If a conditional split is added immediately after certain actions, the system automatically adds a wait time to allow those functions to take place before the split verifies conditions.
Please click here to review those actions and built-in wait times, and give the system time to validate the conditions accordingly!
Infinite loop error message
If the settings of your automation create an infinite loop with another funnel (meaning contacts repeatedly flow back and forth through 2 automations) the system will alert you about that error.
Avoid this issue by creating new automations with fresh content for your audience to flow through to boost engagement and avoid spam complaints!
Create an Automation: Automation → New Automation → Give it a name → Select a trigger → Add actions
Set Up Messages: Click plus sign → Select notification → Create email → Add wait period → Repeat process until complete