A Contact in Sendlane is a profile belonging to someone who opted in to your content. Contact profiles include email addresses and optional information like names, phone numbers, Tags, and any Custom Fields you create. Contacts make up the members of your Audience! Check out our tutorial on Adding Contacts to learn more about getting your Contacts’ information into your Sendlane account.
Contacts are counted only once toward your account’s Contact total. This means if you have one Contact on multiple Lists, that Contact counts as a single Contact in your plan.
In this Guide:
Click the Audience icon in the left-hand menu bar → Contacts tab
The Contacts tab defaults to displaying Contacts in descending order of Subscribe Date, meaning that the most recently subscribed Contacts appear first.
Sort by other Contact attributes like Status, Name, Email, or Lifetime Value by clicking the column headers:
Filter by Lists and Tags by clicking the Lists or Tags filter buttons and selecting from the dropdown List:
Bulk Editing Contacts
To perform the same editing action to multiple Contacts at once, select the Contacts and use the selection menu to:
- Apply a Tag
- Subscribe to List(s)
- Unsubscribe from List(s)
- Remove a Contact's record (we don't recommend this in most circumstances!)
Editing a Single Contact
Click the Contact’s Email or the gray arrow button in the View column. This will pull up a summary of the Contact’s information in a right-hand sidebar. From here you can view Contact statistics and any applicable Custom Fields, edit the Contact’s personal details, Delete or Unsubscribe the Contact, or adjust the Contact’s Tags and Lists.
To view and edit any information for a single Contact (including Internal Notes and applicable Integrations), click the View More button in the Contact sidebar:
Using the Unsubscribe button on the Contact sidebar or profile page will unsubscribe the Contact from all Lists in your account. To unsubscribe a Contact from a single List, click the circled X button next to the List in the Lists section of the Contact’s profile.
Contacts are divided into 3 mutually exclusive categories - Subscribed, Unsubscribed and Suppressed.
Subscribed Contacts include active Contacts who have agreed to receive your content and are subscribed to at least one of your Lists.
Contacts are considered Unsubscribed if they previously agreed to receive content from you, but have since opted out of all of your content. Contacts will have the Unsubscribed status if they have actively unsubscribed from all Lists. Contacts who are still subscribed to at least one List will show as Subscribed.
Unsubscribed Contacts can opt out themselves by clicking the unsubscribe link in your email or reaching an unsubscribe action within an Automation, or you can opt Contacts out by:
- Clicking the Unsubscribe button on the Contact sidebar or profile page to unsubscribe the Contact from all Lists in your account
- Clicking the circled X button next to the List in the Lists section of the Contact’s profile to unsubscribe the Contact from a single List.
Contacts that have been Suppressed are added to the Global Suppression List and are unable to receive emails of any kind, including Campaigns and Automations. Contacts are considered Suppressed after they make a spam complaint. Unsubscribing does not suppress Contacts.
Any email addresses that return a hard bounce are automatically Suppressed.
Once a Contact's information is added to our Global Suppression List, it cannot be removed for any reason.
To Suppress a single Contact, click on the Contact then the Suppress button in the Contact sidebar. The Suppress button is also available on the Contact profile page accessible by clicking the pink View More button in the Contact sidebar.
To Suppress multiple Contacts, select the Contacts to be Suppressed and click the Suppress button:
Individual Contact Profiles
Every Contact in your Sendlane account has a Contact profile where you can view all available data about that Contact. This data includes their Status, Lifetime Value, Custom Fields, Tags, recent activity and more. You can also delete the Contact, add a Tag, unsubscribe them from specific Lists, or suppress them while on the Contact profile page.
Contact profiles will show the past 30 days of engagement data in the Timeline section.
Viewing a Contact Profile
To view a Contact’s profile:
- From the Contacts tab: Click the gray arrow button in the View column of the Contacts tab
- From the Contact Sidebar: Click the pink View More button in the Contact sidebar
- From the Lists tab: Click the List the Contact is on → gray arrow button in the Contacts section next to the Contact you want to view
- From the Segments tab: Click the Segment the Contact is in → gray arrow button in the Contacts section next to the Contact you want to view
- From the Tags tab: Click the Tag the Contact has applied to them → gray arrow button in the Contacts section next to the Contact you want to view
- From an email report: Select an email report tab → View Profile next to the Contact you want to view
- Last Email Opened - The last email sent by your account that the Contact opened
- Last Email Clicked - The last email sent by your account that the Contact clicked a link in
- Last Order Value - The total value of the last order place by the Contact
- Original Subscription - The date the Contact first subscribed to any List in your account
- Subscription Sign Up Location - Where the Contact was first added to your account from
- Last Seen on Website - When the Contact last visited your website (Note: you must have Beacon installed and the Contact must have clicked on at least one email to see this data)
- Personal Details - Details shared by the Contact can be edited by clicking the Edit button
- Revenue - Information on the Contact’s latest and lifetime orders, and their Product History
- Tags & Lists - Any Tags that are applied to the Contact and and Lists they appear on
- Internal Notes - Click the +Note button to add a note about the Contact
- Integrations - Any applicable Integrations
- Personalization - Any Custom Fields the Contact has completed
The Timeline allows you to view a visual timeline of events for your Contact over the last 30 days:
- Subscribed - Date the Contact was added to a List
- Unsubscribed - Date the Contact unsubscribed from a List
- Email Sent - Date the Contact was sent a Campaign
- Opened - Date the Contact opened a Campaign
- Clicked- Date the Contact clicked a link in a Campaign
- Page View - Date the Contact triggered an event (Learn about Event Tracking)
- Conversions - Date the Contact made a conversion on your website (Learn about Event Tracking)