Custom fields are a great tool to record specific information about your contacts when they subscribe to your mailing list.
These fields can then be used to begin automations, create segments, or send more targeted messages with personalized content!
Here, we'll cover how to:
- create a custom field
- collect custom field data
- use custom fields in campaigns
- segment with custom fields
Before Getting Started
It's important to know that in order for Custom Fields to function, you must first capture the relevant information within a contact's profile inside your Sendlane account.
We recommend using pop-ups to do so!
If a contact does not have the relevant information stored within their profile, the Custom Field will not have any data to display, and the text will be blank.
Creating a New Custom Field
- Navigate to Audience → Custom Fields
- Select New Custom Field
- Name your custom field, select the type of custom field and click Save
Creating a New Custom Field While Importing
You can also create a new custom field while importing new contacts into your account.
- Navigate to Audience → Lists
- Select the list you are importing into and click Import at the top.
- After you add your .CSV file, you will move to the Field mapping & Import settings. Here is where you can map your fields to the custom fields you have already created
- If you are importing a new custom field, choose create custom field from the dropdown and name your new custom field.
- Click Import Contacts when you are ready and your custom field will be created and imported!
Collecting Custom Fields Using Sendlane
The first option to collect a custom fields would be to use a Pop-up. When you are creating your pop-up, you will notice your custom fields are located on the bottom right of your content sidebar. You can also create a new custom field by clicking ADD CUSTOM FIELD beneath your custom fields.
Drag and drop your custom field into the popup you are creating and you are all set! When a contact opts-in, the custom field will be collected inside their contact profile.
The second option to collect a custom field would be using our API. Using our API documentation you can use the POST method to Add Contact with a custom field.
Using Custom Fields in Campaigns
- To use a custom field in the content of an email, make sure you have a message open in the Sendlane Email Editor
- Next, place your cursor where you want to add a custom field
- Then, click on the Personalization Tag icon and select the tag from the dropdown that you'd like to include within the body of your message.
You will find your custom fields below the already built-in tags
- Once added, you will see your Custom field added to your email with the unique VAR code it was assigned
When you send your message, any contact who has information on file for that Custom Field will see it displayed within the text! If there is no custom field data for that contact, it will show as a blank space.
Segmenting Using Custom Fields
Segmenting by custom fields is a great way to target specific audiences to send to!
In this example we will create a segment to send a campaign to contacts who added that their favorite color was red.
- Navigate to Audience → Segments
- Click New Segment
- After naming your segment, choose Custom Fields, select the custom field you want to segment and choose the arguments
- Once finished, click Create Segment to complete your segment
- After the segment has processed, you can view how many contacts your segment contains next to the audience icon
You're all set! Now you can send a campaign to this specific segment to personalize your email messages even more.
Testing Custom Fields
As a best practice, we always recommend testing your messages before sending them out to anyone in your audience.
However, it's important to note that Custom Fields will not function when sending a test email (because it's a test environment, not a real database pull) so please be sure that the tag details are correct within your content before hitting send!
Custom Field: Audience → Custom Field → New Custom Field
Custom Field while Importing: Audience → Lists → Choose List → import → Select Import File → Select create custom field from dropdown
Using Pop-ups: Pop-ups → Create new Pop-up → Drag custom field onto Pop-up
Campaigns: Email Editor → Place Cursor → Personalization Tag icon → Select custom field
Segment: Audience → Segment → Custom Fields from dropdown
- Does the contact have the correct custom field information recorded in their customer profile?