Segments can be a great tool to target certain contacts for campaigns, exclude certain contacts from receiving a campaign, and for identifying non-openers to keep your account clean of any non-engaging contacts. This can be done specific to a certain list or on a global scale of the account.
Here we'll cover all of the available ways to segment your audience, including lists, contact properties, engagement, and more!
Plus, we'll also go over all of the specific step-by-step instructions on how to:
Before Getting Started
Prior to creating a segment, you should have created a list inside of your Sendlane account. Next, make sure you have contacts on your list!
Finally, there must be something that 'identifies' these contacts to group them together, such as the date (or date range) that they subscribed, whether or not they have opened a campaign, whether or not they have clicked on a link, etc.
There are five main ways to segment your audience:
Lists are the most basic way to organize the members of your audience in your Sendlane account. You can segment depending if they are or are not on a list.
|List||Is on List||If contact is on specific list|
|List||Not on List||If contact is not on specific list|
Contact properties are based on specific characteristics such as Email, First Name, Address, Geolocation, etc.
|Email Address||Is, Not, Contains, Does Not Contain, Starts With, Ends With||Contact email address|
|First Name||Is, Not, Contains, Does Not Contain, Starts With, Ends With||Contact first name|
|Last Name||Is, Not, Contains, Does Not Contain, Starts With, Ends With||Contact last name|
|Geolocation||Is, Not||Contact location|
|Device||Is, Not||Contact device used|
|Subscription Date||Is, Is After, Is Before, In the Last||Contact Opt-in date|
|Signup Source||Was, Was Not|| Contact Opt-in type
|Phone Number||Is, Not, Contains, Does Not Contain, Starts With, Ends With, Has Phone, Does Not Have||Phone number digits|
Custom fields allow you to capture additional information about your contacts to help send more targeted messages.
|Custom Fields||Is, Not, Contains, Does Not Contain, Starts With, Ends With||Contact custom field|
Engagement & Activity
Engagement & Activity are based on contact behavior within campaigns.
|Engagement & Activity||Opened||Contact opened campaign or automation|
|Engagement & Activity||Clicked||Contact clicked link within campaign or automation|
|Engagement & Activity||Did Not Open||Contact did not open campaign or automation|
|Engagement & Activity||Did Not Click||Contact did not click link within campaign or automation|
|Engagement & Activity||Triggered Event||Contact triggered custom event|
|Engagement & Activity||Did Not Trigger Event||Contact did not trigger custom event|
|Engagement & Activity||Visited Site||Contact visited specified site|
Contact tags are based on the custom created tags you have applied to your contacts
|Contact Tag||Has Tag||Contact has specified custom tag|
|Contact Tag||Does Not Have Tag|| Contact does not have specified custom tag
In Automation is based on whether a contact is currently in or not in one, several, or any of your automations
|In Automation||Is In Automation||Contact is currently in an automation (can also choose a specific one or more)|
|In Automation||Not In Automation||Contact is currently not in an automation (can also choose a specific one or more)|
Segmenting a List
- Navigate to the Audience tab and click on Segments
- Click the New Segment button (top right)
- Name the segment and add the condition(s) you would like contacts to be filtered by. You can add 'or' and 'and' conditions.
- Name of the Segment – Name your Segment for reference here.
- All Contacts – Here you can either select All Contacts (Global) or select a specific list for your segment. All contacts (Global) will check all subscribed contacts in your account, vs a specific list.
- OR condition – These are the conditions that you would like your contacts to be filtered by. Adding an OR condition will filter based on if they meet any of the conditions.
- AND condition – These are the conditions that you would like your contacts to be filtered by. Adding an AND condition will filter based on if they meet all of the conditions.
Please make sure to click on Create Segment (for new segments) or Update Segment (when editing a segment) in the top right when you are done.
Segments periodically rebuild automatically after logging into your account. If you'd like to manually rebuild a segment, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Audience → Segments
- Click ... → Rebuild
- You'll see the Currently processing status for the segment while it's still being updated
As soon as it's finished, your segment will have the most up-to-date information on your entire audience!
Exporting Segmented Contacts
- Navigate to Audience → Segments
- Click ... → View Contacts
- Click Download
- A pop up will appear, select either Export as CSV or Export as Text File. You will receive an email with a link that leads to the file of the segmented contacts. You can also download any export from your Imports & Exports tab!
Deleting Segmented Contacts
- Navigate to Audience → Segments
- Find the segment you would like to delete contacts from, and click ... → View Contacts
- Then, click Remove All
This works for both Global and List specific segments.
If a segment is created for a specific list, the Remove All function will remove identified contacts only from that list, even if they are on multiple lists within your account.
If the segment is a Global segment, Remove All will remove the contacts from your entire Sendlane account.
- Select Delete Contacts to finalize the process!
- Navigate to Audience → Segments.
- Find the segment you would like to delete, and click ... → Delete
- Select Delete Segment to finalize the process
Segment Showing Zero Contacts
If a segment you've recently created is showing zero contacts, check the conditions you have in place. If you have multiple conditions, the AND/OR option is very important. If you have AND selected, both conditions must be met in order for a contact to appear within the segment. If OR is selected, either of the conditions will place a contact within the segment.
For more information about segmenting your contacts, check out these helpful articles:
- How to Improve Targeting with Advanced Segmentation
- How to Remove Unengaged Contacts with Segmentation
Take a look at our blog articles for more extended tips:
- The ROI Segment Trifecta! Three Segments Your Online Store Needs
- eCommerce Segmentation: Send the Right Email to the Right Customer
Segment List: Audience → Segment → New Segment → Name → List or Global → Any or All → Segment Conditions → Create/Update Segment
Export Segment: Audience → Segment → Download → .csv or .txt file → Export
Deleting Segmented Contacts: Audience → Segment → Click "..." → View Contacts → Remove All
Deleting a Segment: Audience → Segment → Click "..." → Delete