What is Permission-Based Marketing?
Permission-based marketing is the practice of sending marketing communications only to contacts who have given their consent to receive them. (That's why you might have also heard this referred to as consent-based marketing.)
Sendlane is a 100% permission-based platform, so it's important to clarify exactly what qualifies as permission-based, and how it relates to collecting contacts as a Sendlane user!
In this article we'll cover:
- implicit vs explicit permission
- making sure your lead collection process is permission-based
- permission-based best practices
Implicit vs Explicit Permission
In terms of email marketing compliance, let's break down the types of permission that exist:
- Implicit Permission is obtained through a customer or client relationship, such as an in-person meeting or attending a webinar.
- Explicit Permission is obtained through a direct request, opt-in or purchase, like registering for a newsletter, submitting a contact form on a website, subscribing on a landing page, clicking to agree to marketing communications during a checkout process, etc.
How to Make Sure Your Lead Collection Process is Permission-Based
So before you add anyone to your account, be sure that each and every contact has given you permission to send them messages.
When importing contacts you'll need to make sure opt-in details (like IP address, date/timestamp, or location and sign-up source) are included in your file, otherwise our Compliance Team won't be able to approve the import.
Permission-Based Best Practices
Above and beyond getting clear consent from each contact, you should also clarify important details about what they can expect from you after opting-in.
Be specific about what you are offering and how often your contacts will receive emails. If it’s a newsletter, it should be clear if it’s weekly, monthly or bi-monthly. If it’s a free download, they should know it’s an immediate download via email.
Making promises and delivering on them is a good permission-based marketing practice!
If you have any other questions about permission-based marketing and Sendlane, please reach out to our Support Team for assistance!