Beacon (Website and Event Tracking)
Beacon is a website and event tracking tool, designed to track your contact's on-site activities!
Sendlane's intelligent tracking pixel follows your audience through their entire customer journey, allowing you to utilize custom events to track page visits and conversions.
This helps you segment and micro-target your audience, triggering targeted automations to deliver the right message at the right time.
There are two options for Beacon: Events and Conversion Rules. Both options involve installing a piece of HTML code in the header of your website, but each one works a little bit differently.
The Events option allows you to track when a contact reaches a specific page. Inside of that contact's profile, you'll see they ended up on that specific page after clicking on a link within a campaign you sent.
Creating multiple events is a powerful way to track the behavior, activity, and interests of your audience because different page visits may indicate interest in different products or services you offer.
From there, you can use Beacon event data as a way to segment contacts or trigger super-targeted automations!
The Conversion Rules option allows you to assign a dollar amount to a URL, so Sendlane knows if someone visits X page, that's worth $X.
The rules you create basically say "if a contact reaches this URL, that means a purchase of $X.XX was made" so the system can apply a dollar amount value to that event and track revenue!
Then, when you send your audience a campaign, if a contact clicks on a link in that message and ends up at the URL that is identified within the conversion rule (normally, a confirmation page for a specific product) the conversion/revenue amount will show in that campaign's reporting.
Before Getting Started
Please be sure you're able to edit the code of your website, or any pages you wish to track. If you're not able to edit the source code, there's no way to install the Beacon code to your site.
Installing Beacon into a WordPress site requires the Headers and Footers plugin to be installed first. Click through for more information about using Beacon with WordPress.
You should also know that in order for Beacon to begin tracking the behavior of your audience, contacts first need to opt-in to your account. Once they open a campaign that leads them back to your website, their behavior will be tracked accordingly and available within their customer profile!
Setting Up Conversion Rules
- Navigate to the Beacon tab and select Conversion Rules.
2. Click Copy to grab the full script and then paste it into the header code for every page you want to track conversions for.
3. Clicking the pink Next button will prompt you to create the conversions rules. Give your conversion a name, a value for the page visit and the URL of the specific page to be tracked and then click Create to finish setup
4. After completing the setup, you will see your conversion rule and the reporting within your Beacon tab.
5. If you want to create another conversion tracker, click the black Create Rule button in the upper right corner. This area will also allow you to grab the tracking code if you need it!
Setting Up Event Tracking
- Navigate to the Beacon tab and select Events.
- Select the black New Event button and you will be prompted to name your event and give a description to remember what the event is exactly for.
3. Once finished you will see your new event activities within the Events tab!
4. Select Get Code next to the event name and place within the header of your web pages you are tracking this event for.
- The code produced by Sendlane will need to be added in the header of your website. If you cannot edit the code of the website, you will not be able to add this Conversion or Event Tracking code.
- You are able to add both Conversion and Event Tracking to the same webpage, however, you do not need to add the entire code for each beacon tool. The Conversion rule should be the main code on the page, so this should be added in its entirety. To add the Event Tracking to the same page as the Conversion rule, you will just need the part of the event_id area of the code.
- Contacts will need to be in the account before they are able to be tracked
- It usually takes as long as 24 hours for the tracking to be reported
- Track Your Customer Journey and Send Laser-Targeted Emails with Sendlane Beacon
- Drive Revenue by Targeting Website Visitors With Personalized Product Recommendations
- 3 Email Retargeting Strategies Guaranteed to Win You More Sales
Track Conversions: Beacon → Install Beacon → Place code in the header of all web pages → create conversion rules → start tracking.
Track Events: Beacon → Events → New Event → Name & Description of Event → Place code within page header to be tracked.