Campaigns are one-time (broadcast style) emails you can use to send newsletters, updates, announcements or any other type of marketing content to your audience.
In this article, we'll explore how to create a new campaign from start to finish, including:
Before Getting Started
Creating a New Campaign
- Click New Campaign inside of the Campaigns tab
- Enter your Campaign Settings
- Campaign Name - this is the title of your campaign which will only be used internally; your audience will not see this
- Advanced Features
- Google Analytics - A more advanced UTM tracking tool that requires a Google Analytics account
- RSS Feed - Link your RSS Feed to share the most up-to-date content you've published on your blog or website via email
- Experiments - Create a message and test multiple versions to a small portion of your audience to see which one performs best. Once the winner is determined, that version will be sent to the rest of your contacts!
- Click Next: Audience once you're done with your settings
- On the Audience page, choose who you'd like to send this message to, using the drag and drop selector to include or exclude lists/segments or tags
- Select who you'd like to send from by choosing (or creating) a Sender Profile from the dropdown
The sender profile selected here will be used for all contacts who receive this campaign.
Click Next: Content once you're done choosing your audience
- On the Content page, enter the Subject Line and Preheader Text of your message, then click Create Email
Choose from Sendlane's pre-designed templates, create your own custom template, use the HTML builder, or start from scratch to design your campaign and build out your email
- Click Next: Schedule once you're done!
- After designing your campaign and saving, you will be brought to the Schedule page. Choose from the following options to save as draft, send out your campaign right away, or schedule for a later time
- Save as Draft – save the campaign as is and come back later to schedule or send
- Send Immediately – send to selected contacts immediately
- Schedule – select a future date and time to send the email
- Machine Learning Open Predictability – send your message over a 24 hour period, delivering to each contact when they are most likely to see and interact with your message (based on their previous behavior)
- Click the Save as Draft, Send Immediately or Schedule button to finalize your choice and return to the main campaign area, where you can verify the current status and send settings!
And that's it! Your new campaign is all set to send, or will be saved as a draft so you can schedule it later!
There a few different statuses you'll see for your campaigns:
- Completed - This indicates that your email campaign has finished sending. We suggest giving the analytics 24 hours before reviewing your email’s engagement metrics.
- Denied - This campaign has been reviewed and denied by our Compliance Team.
- Experimenting - Your message was sent as an experiment!
- Draft - This indicates that your email has not been sent out yet. The message should be edited, scheduled, and confirmed in order to be sent.
- Pending Compliance Review - This campaign is under review. Some accounts need manual approval until a probation period has passed. Most campaigns are approved within 24 hours by the Compliance Team. If after 24 hours your campaign has not been approved, please reach out to our Support Team.
- Scheduled - Your email is scheduled to send out at a certain day and time.
- Sending - This indicates that your email is currently being sent. Your email may remain in this status for a while if you have a larger list, or if you used Machine Learning Open Predictability.
- Stopped - you manually stopped this campaign mid-send.
Once you've created a campaign, you can edit, view report, duplicate, un-schedule, or delete for that campaign depending on its current status.
- Delete - Delete any campaigns that have not yet been sent (i.e. campaigns that are draft, pending or scheduled). For account reputation management purposes you cannot delete previously sent campaigns.
- Duplicate - Create an exact copy of a campaign including all settings, audience, and content details. The duplicate campaign option does not automatically re-send a copy of your message. To send a duplicate campaign, please return to the Schedule page to choose your desired schedule settings.
- Edit - Make changes to any campaigns that have not yet been sent (i.e. campaigns that are draft, pending or scheduled). For account reputation management purposes you cannot edit previously sent campaigns.
- Un-schedule - Change the initial Schedule settings for your campaign. You can re-schedule sending, send immediately or save the campaign as a draft.
- View Report - View the reporting data and statistics for any sent campaigns. To learn more about the data we collect and display, please click here to visit our article on email reporting!
Once a campaign is sent, it is no longer able to be edited in any way. Please make sure your campaign is fully ready to send when scheduling.
If your contacts report they are receiving blank emails, you are likely using one image as the entire email. The contacts may be seeing this because they have not downloaded or allowed images in their email client settings or they are receiving the plain text-only format of an email which has no text inside. Best practices suggest a ratio of 60% text and 40% images.
Status = Pending Compliance Review
Typically you will see a Pending Compliance Review status for your campaigns when you are still going through a compliance check. Usually, this happens when you import or migrate a list over from a file or another platform.
The Compliance Team will manually approve your emails until they’ve reviewed the content. Once you have had a few emails approved, the Compliance Team will switch you over to auto-approval but will still review from time to time to make sure you pass intermediate compliance checks.
Here are some of the most common reasons why emails do not get approved:
- Spam-like or misleading content
- Broken, unmasked, or untrusted URLs
- Poor image to text ratio (i.e. single, large image with hardly any text)
Additional Sendlane Resources
- A Complete Guide to Crafting Irresistible Email Newsletters
- 7 Examples of Simple & Effective Emails
- Email Marketing Insider Video: Four Tips for Writing Emails People Actually Want to Read
- 9 Promotional Emails Your Contacts Will Love
- Text-based Vs Image-based Emails: Which is Best For Your Business?
- 5 Ways to Send Product Update Emails That Engage Your Contacts
- 6 Email Templates You Need to Create the Perfect Product Launch Campaign
- How to Leverage Campaign Reporting In Sendlane to Boost Engagement
Campaigns: New Campaign → Set Campaign Settings (Name, Advanced) → Next: Audience → Choose to → Specify from → Next: Content → Enter subject and preheader → Create Email → Choose Pre-Designed, Custom, Previous, HTML, or Start from Scratch → Build email → Save and continue → Next: Schedule → Click Save as Draft, Send Immediately or Schedule → Select Save, Send or Schedule Campaign
Actions: Campaign → Find campaign → Select Edit, View Report or "..." → Duplicate, Un-schedule, Delete