How to Run Campaign Experiments
Experiments are an advanced feature available within Sendlane that you can use to run split tests on your campaign messages!
With campaigns experiments, you're able to create a message and test multiple versions in a small portion of your audience to see which one performs best. Once the winner is determined, that version will be sent to the rest of your contacts!
Before Getting Started
In order to set up different campaign experiments, you should first understand how to build a campaign.
- Click New Campaign inside of the Campaigns tab
- Enter a name for your campaign and check the Experiments box
- In the Experiments Settings section, you'll set basic parameters for your test
- Components - The specific features of the email you'd like to test (subject line, preheader text or content)
- Test Audience - The percentage of contacts you would like to release the Experiment to
- Winning Version - Decide which metric to focus on (click rate, open rate or revenue) and how long to run the test for
- Click Next: Audience to select your audience and choose a sender profile
- Click Next: Content to begin building your first email (Test A) by filling in any content sections you'd like to have across all versions (those items will be up top) and the test versions (towards the bottom)
- Once you've finished test A, either click Add new test to start from scratch or Copy A to duplicate your original version
You can create up to 4 different test versions within each experiment and select any combination of components to test.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you've created the desired amount of test email versions (A-D) for your Experiment
- Click Next: Schedule to continue through the campaign creation process and schedule your message!
While your campaign is sending and the experiment is running, the campaign status will be Experimenting. Plus, for any campaigns sent using the Experiments feature, you'll see the experiments icon next to the status:
Once the experiment has finished and the campaign has been sent to all of your contacts, you can see the winning test version (and a summary of the experiment details) within your campaign reporting.
Campaigns → New Campaign → Experiments → Set parameters (components, test audience, winning version) → Next: Audience → Choose to → Specify from → Next: Content → Build Test A (fill in content) → Click Add new test or Copy A → Repeat steps until desired tests are created → Next: Schedule → Click Save as Draft, Send Immediately or Schedule