How to Retarget Browse Abandoners with Product Recommendations
Website tracking is one of the very best ways to gather data about the behavior of your audience. By tracking the behavior of site visitors, you can easily trigger an automation to follow up with every contact via email, and encourage them to convert!
Before Getting Started
In order for Beacon to begin tracking the behavior of your audience, contacts first need to opt-in to your account. Once they open a campaign that leads them back to your website, their behavior will be tracked accordingly and available within their customer profile!
Setting up Site Tracking for Specific Product Pages
- Navigate to the Beacon tab and select Events
- Select the New Event button and you will be prompted to name your event and give a description to remember what the event is exactly for. For our example, we will create an event for our Hoodies category on our site, like so:
- Once finished you will see your new event activities within the Events tab
- You can also create another event by selecting the pink New Event button in the upper right corner. Selecting Get Code next to the event name will give you the code to place within the header of your web pages you are tracking this event for
Setting up your Automation
- Begin by heading to Automations → New Automation
- From here select Start From Scratch and name your automation
- Select the Event Triggered action for retargeting
- Select the event you previously created - in this example our event was named Sendlane Hoodie
- Next, we will want to create emails based on the products on those pages and offer other recommendations, to encourage clients to convert. If you are using one our integrations (like Shopify for example), you can add those products to your emails like so:
- Continue building your automation by adding any other actions and communications you'd like to use. Depending on what your goals and objectives are, we recommend sending three emails over the next three days to encourage contacts to come back and visit your website
- Next, add a Goal action. (We recommend checking to see if contacts made a purchase - so in this example, the goal conditions are that the contact triggered the event by going back to the original URL and had a conversion amount greater than $1.00)
- From here you can decide what happens next based on your overall strategy! Select the next action once the goal is reached and what happens if they do not reach the goal. You will also have the option to select how many times the goal is checked before determining that it was not met.
- Once you have completed your automation be sure to set the funnel from Inactive to Active
And that's it!
Now, any contacts that visit your website will trigger this automation, see your marketing emails and hopefully return to your website to make a purchase!
Additional Sendlane Resources
Automations → New Automation → Start From Scratch → Trigger: Event Triggered → Page URL → Build automation with actions & communications → Add Goal → Active