How to Trigger an Automation After Edits are Made
Automations should only be activated after they are fully complete, tested, and ready to receive traffic. If you do edit an active automation, the edits will not be seen by contacts currently active inside it.
After creating any changes in your automation, you will need to re-target contacts already active within it so that they may receive changes. Because edits are only visible to new contacts added after the changes were made, re-triggering is essential so that all contacts experience the edited automation.
Although we are providing a how-to in order to re-trigger active contacts after an automation is edited, we recommend keeping an automation inactive until it is fully ready to receive traffic. We recommend making any changes to an automation before contacts are added to it.
Before Getting Started
How To Trigger an Automation After Editing
- Create a new segment containing your already active contacts. You are able to create a segment based on the date a contact is added. Create a segment using Contact Properties > Subscription Date as the condition.
Create a campaign to send to your already active contacts. You could include any new information you would like to share in a newsletter. Please make sure to use the segment you just created as your audience.
- Do not send the message immediately, instead schedule the campaign to send at a later time so you can complete the rest of the process and create your automation.
- Please Note
If your edit was to create a new email, you can use the email recently added to your automation as the Campaign in the trigger for your second automation.
- Once you've scheduled your campaign, head over to Automations → New Automation and select the Start from Scratch option.
Next, click to add a trigger, choose Email Campaign Opened and select the campaign you just created. You can also use the email you most recently created in your automation, if that was your most recent change.
- Once you've completed your automation, and added any goals or actions, be sure to set the funnel from Inactive to Active.
- From here, you can either allow your Campaign to send out at the originally scheduled time, or update the schedule to Send Immediately.
Once you've sent the Campaign, all contacts who open it should be able to experience your automation as it is currently created.
- If you cannot select the campaign you created, is the campaign in Draft? It will need to be scheduled in order to select that campaign as a trigger.
- Check to make sure the automation is Active once it is complete.
- Select the correct segment or list to use for your campaign audience.
- Be sure to double-check date used in segmentation so it aligns with any edits made.
Create Segment by Subscription Date (use date before edit made) → Campaigns → New Campaign → create your email → schedule campaign (do not send immediately) → Automations → New Automation → Start from scratch → Add trigger Email Campaign Opened → choose campaign for imported contacts → finish building automation → Activate → allow campaign to send as scheduled, or update to Send Immediately