How to Activate SMS
Sendlane's SMS packages allow you to add SMS marketing to your existing email marketing strategy quickly and seamlessly! Use both together to leverage customer behavioral data to send the right type of message at the right time.
🚨 Important Notes
- SMS carriers are experiencing higher than normal wait times in approving phone number applications; the registration process currently takes up to 4 weeks.
- SMS activation is only available for businesses with registered addresses in the United States.
- Using SMS to send marketing content means you must follow very strict legal requirements that include content guidelines, time restrictions, and consent collection guidelines.
- SMS messaging is only available to phone numbers located in the United States or Canada.
Watch the video below or read on for instructions on getting started with SMS at Sendlane!
To get started, head to the Billing tab of your Account Settings page, then click Set Up SMS.
Read the SMS Consent / Opt-In agreement and restricted content information carefully before checking the box and clicking Continue.
Review SMS Opt-In Information
Sendlane works with carriers to verify that your phone number belongs to your business by registering your brand.
Enter your company’s information including your industry, legal entity name, and business address.
- Business Name will be added to all of your SMS messages (and will count toward’s the message’s character count) to identify you to your Contacts
- Subdomain will be used in tracking links to identify your brand to your Contacts and cannot be changed
Luckily, Sendlane has TCPA-compliant opt-in forms ready to go! If you are using any lead collection method other than Sendlane’s native Pop-Ups, upload a screenshot showing your lead collection page with the required legal language.
Click Submit to submit your form and begin the compliance review process! You'll receive an email from the Sendlane Compliance team on the status of your registration.
Register Your Phone Number
Once your SMS registration is approved, you’ll be automatically placed on our free trial SMS plan! The free trial plan gives you 50 SMS credits to send test messages and get familiar with the SMS workflow.
To select your SMS plan, head to the Billing tab of your Account Settings page, then click Change SMS Plan. Click Select next to the monthly or annual subscription plan that works for you, then click Add to SMS Plan.
💡 Pro Tip
Not sure which plan to pick? 10% of your audience size x 4 messages per month is a good place to start!
Select an SMS Plan
⏭ Next Steps
If you need to port your phone number over from an existing SMS solution, please reach out to our 24/7 product support team!
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice. All information, content, and materials available in this article are for general informational purposes only.
Additional SMS Resources
Check out the Sendlane Marketing Journal for tips, tricks, and best practices for SMS Marketing: