How to Activate SMS
Sendlane's SMS packages allow you to add SMS marketing to your existing email marketing strategy quickly and seamlessly! Use both together to leverage customer behavioral data to send the right type of message at the right time.
SMS plans are charged by the number of credits needed each month, and incoming messages will always be free!
🚨 Important Notes
- SMS carriers are experiencing higher than normal wait times in approving phone number applications; the registration process currently takes up to 4 weeks.
- SMS activation is only available for businesses with registered addresses in the United States.
- Using SMS to send marketing content means you must follow very strict legal requirements that include content guidelines, time restrictions, and consent collection guidelines.
- SMS messaging is only available to phone numbers located in the United States or Canada.
- SMS Activation requires an active and paid email plan and a valid credit card, but you can try Sendlane's SMS risk-free by selecting our 50 free sending credits plan!
Watch the video below or read on for instructions on getting started with SMS at Sendlane!
To get started, head to the Billing tab of your Account Settings page, then click Set Up SMS.
Read the SMS Consent / Opt-In agreement and restricted content information carefully before checking the box and clicking Continue.
Review SMS Opt-In Information
Sendlane works with carriers to verify that your phone number belongs to your business by registering your brand.
Enter your company’s information including your industry, legal entity name, and business address.
- Business Name will be added to all of your SMS messages (and will count toward’s the message’s character count) to identify you to your Contacts
- Subdomain will be used in tracking links to identify your brand to your Contacts and cannot be changed
Luckily, Sendlane has TCPA-compliant opt-in forms ready to go! If you are using any lead collection method other than Sendlane’s native Pop-Ups, upload a screenshot showing your lead collection page with the required legal language.
Click Submit to submit your form and begin the compliance review process! You'll receive an email from the Sendlane Compliance team on the status of your registration.
Register Your Phone Number
Once your SMS registration is approved, you’ll be automatically placed on our free trial SMS plan! The free trial plan gives you 50 SMS credits to send test messages and get familiar with the SMS workflow.
To select your SMS plan, head to the Billing tab of your Account Settings page, then click Change SMS Plan. Click Select next to the monthly or annual subscription plan that works for you, then click Add to SMS Plan.
💡 Pro Tip
Not sure which plan to pick? 10% of your audience size x 4 messages per month is a good place to start! Credits expire at the end of the month.
🚨 Important Note
If you signed up for SMS before October 2022 and are on a usage based plan with SMS credits, please contact your Customer Success Manager to make any adjustments to your plan
Select an SMS Plan
⏭ Next Steps
If you want a short code or need to port your phone number over from an existing SMS solution, please reach out to our 24/7 product support team!
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice. All information, content, and materials available in this article are for general informational purposes only.
Additional SMS Resources
Check out the Sendlane Marketing Journal for tips, tricks, and best practices for SMS Marketing:
- How SMS Marketing Can Help Your Business Thrive
- The New Sendlane SMS/MMS Marketing (+ 8 Best Practices)
- 8 SMS Marketing Benefits & Tips
- Six Effortless Ways to Grow Your SMS Marketing List
- 9 Best Practices for Writing Effective SMS Campaigns
- 11 Easy Ways to Make Your SMS Marketing More Powerful
- 3 Automated SMS Texts Every eCommerce Store Should Send