Collect SMS Consent via Email
Do you have an engaged email audience and want to get started with SMS marketing? You can quickly collect SMS marketing consent from your existing Contacts by using a dynamic hyperlink in any Campaign or Automation email!
Sign up for a usage-based SMS package to get started, then follow the steps below to start collecting SMS consent from your email audience.
How Does It Work?
- You insert and edit an HTML snippet into a block in any email. The
VAR_SMS_JOINtag in the HTML snippet below generates a unique code for each Contact.
- A Contact receives your email and clicks the SMS link. The snippet's SMS link will automatically open the Contact's SMS messaging app with a message that contains the Contact's unique consent code ready to send to your Sendlane SMS phone number.
- A Contact sends the automatically generated SMS message to confirm their consent. Contacts' consent to receive SMS messages will be recorded in their Contact Profile when the automatically generated SMS message is sent.
Insert & Edit HTML Block
Open any Campaign or Automation email in the Email Builder and click the Content tab to get started.
- Click the HTML block and drop it in your email
- In the HTML window that appears, delete the Insert HTML Here placeholder text
- Paste the following HTML snippet in the HTML window:
<a href="sms:VAR_SMS_PHONE?&body=Send%20this%20text%20to%20subscribe%20to%20SMS%20Updates!VAR_SMS_JOIN"> Text VAR_SMS_JOIN to VAR_SMS_PHONE </a>
Click Save to finish your block!
Tags will display in your email as:
VAR_SMS_JOIN- Customer's unique consent code
VAR_SMS_PHONE- Your Sendlane SMS phone number
Include Compliance Messaging
To collect consent to receive marketing SMS messages, your email must contain:
- A link to your terms of service, AND
- Clear messaging on the consent your Contacts are giving to receive SMS marketing messages
See the sample message below:
*Include hyperlinks to policies
Additional SMS Resources
Check out the Sendlane Marketing Journal for tips, tricks, and best practices for SMS Marketing:
- How SMS Marketing Can Help Your Business Thrive
- The New Sendlane SMS/MMS Marketing (+ 8 Best Practices)
- 8 SMS Marketing Benefits & Tips
- Six Effortless Ways to Grow Your SMS Marketing List
- 9 Best Practices for Writing Effective SMS Campaigns
- 11 Easy Ways to Make Your SMS Marketing More Powerful
- 3 Automated SMS Texts Every eCommerce Store Should Send