A Webhook is a tool that broadcasts information about an action that has taken place on a server. You can use Webhooks to create a notification when a certain action or event occurs.
For Sendlane users, this provides the ability to send updates about new contacts that are added to a particular list
In this article, we'll go over the following:
Before Getting Started
There are plenty of services that connect with Sendlane via a Webhook!
(Ex : Facebook Ads, Deadline Funnel, Involve.me, Zapier, Join It, and more)
Ultimately, the service you choose to Integrate with Sendlane will need to provide the Webhook URL to complete the connection.
In order to make the process as smooth as possible, we recommend completing the following steps before moving to the next section:
- Choose the service you'd like to Integrate with Sendlane
- Find their specific documentation about Webhooks and become familiar
- Return here and move to the next step!
Testing Webhooks with Sendlane
If you're familiar with Webhooks already, you're more than welcome to skip this step.
If this is a completely new tool we recommend giving it a test run to see the flow of information before you activate your automation.
Here's what to do when testing Webhooks within Sendlane:
1. Find a Webhook tester to acquire your unique URL. We will be using Request Catcher. Create a test subdomain to complete your unique URL.
2. Then click Get Started.
3. Next, take the created URL and paste it into a new browser window to receive this screen:
Now, we're going to take that same URL and use it to test integration with Sendlane!
Creating Your Automation
This is where you define what actions will be reported when they take place.
If you haven't created an automation before, please see our tutorial.
1. Set your trigger. This will be the action you would like to monitor. For our example, we are using Subscribes to a List.
2. Select and click
Post from the drop-down menu
3. Paste your unique URL you created earlier into the URL input
4.Click the drop down and choose Post
5. Click Done
6. Lastly, don't forget to set your Automation as active!
7. To test, add a contact to your list. You will be able to see the result of your test in the Tester (Request Catcher) once the test contact enters the Automation. It will show:
1. the contact's email address
2. the list ID (which list they were added to in Sendlane)
Attain your unique webhook URL from the service you plan to Integrate with Sendlane and paste it into the URL input, then Save and publish your changes! Every contact that fits the parameters of the Automation's trigger will have it's information logged in your Integration. You can use the same steps to test your webhook.
If you are new to creating webhooks, we have helpful links to help you learn more!
Testing Webhook & Create Your Automation: Find a Webhook Tester → Acquire unique URL → Sendlane dashboard → Automations → Start from scratch→ Set trigger → Select webhook as the first action → Paste URL into webhook URL input → Select POST → Click done → Save & publish changes → Add contact to audience → Check webhook tester for transmission
Customize Your Automation: Get Webhook URL from service you plan to Integrate with Sendlane → Sendlane dashboard → Automations → Re-enter automation with Webhook → Update trigger → Paste new URL into webhook URL input → Click done → Save & publish changes → Test if needed