Building the Perfect Email
Sendlane offers a dynamic email builder you can use to create the perfect message - engaging your contacts and turning them into customers!
This tutorial walks you through how to create your own professional emails, showcasing every feature available in Sendlane's email builder, using one of our very own newsletters as an example.
Before Getting Started
Be sure to compile any logos, links, images or text you'll be using in your email. It's much easier to build out your message if you have all of the pieces ready!
We also have a video version of this walkthrough if you want to see the entire process in action!
Click on the New Campaign button in the top right of your campaigns page
- On the Settings page, name your campaign (this is only for your records - none of your contacts will be able to see what you put here) and select any Advanced options you'd like to use
- Once you choose your Audience and are on the Content page, you'll see three sections to customize
Subject The subject line should be an attention getter. Using 4-6 really compelling words for best results!
Use the personalization icon to add variable tags that populate information from your contact's profiles.
Preheader The preheader text is almost like a secondary subject line, used to make an even stronger impression, build curiosity and increase your open rates by displaying a short summary of your message in your audience's inbox! Email Content
- Once you've filled in your subject and preheader, click Create Email to begin that process
Building Your Email
- Select Start From Scratch in the upper right to begin building your email!
- Next, you'll see the Sendlane drag-and-drop email builder. There are two main tools in this builder: Sections and Content. Sections are the foundation, or skeleton, of your email, so choose a few sections you'd like to use, and drop them into the body of your email
- Once you have your sections set up, you are ready to add your content. And don’t worry about making a mistake - you can always add, remove or edit your sections later!
- Now, great emails include a variety of content, which is why you’ll see a ton of different options including text, images, buttons, dividers, and even pre-built social media icons. We will be utilizing each of these here, but let's start off by adding a Title block to the top section
- Type your headline copy into the Title block
A tool bar will appear above the section where you added the Title text. This will allow you to edit style of the text including changing the colors, font, size, and alignment. For this example, we are going to center-align the title
Next, grab a few Text blocks, and start adding more copy to your email
Just remember as you’re adding copy to your email, the spam filter is your worst enemy.
If you send duplicate content, or anything that looks like spam, you’re likely to land in your audience’s spam folder. Here's a great article to help you avoid that!
Now it's time to add some images and graphics. For branding purposes, you'll always want to have your company logo visible within your email. A great way to do this is by using our Custom Content Block feature to create a reusable email signature!
A few other great content options are Buttons, Dividers, Spacers, and pre-built Social icons. In this example, you'll see all of those content types being used, but go ahead and add in any options you like
- Once you have added all of your content, click Preview to check how your email looks on both desktop and mobile devices
- Next, use the Send a test email feature to preview a live test right to your inbox
- After your tests have completed, and you are satisfied with the look of your email, click on Save and continue so that you can schedule and send your campaign
And that's it! You've just created the perfect email!
Additional Sendlane Resources
If you hit any roadblocks following the process above, you can always get in touch with our team of email marketing automation experts right here.
Before You Get Started: Watch the video version of this walkthrough if you want to see the entire process in action!
Basics: Click on the New Campaign Button → Name campaign on the Settings Page → Select Advanced Options (Optional) → Choose Audience → Customize Subject, Preheader and Email Content on Content Page → Click Create Email
Building Your Email: Select Start From Scratch → Drag and Drop Sections/Content Blocks into Email → Enter Copy and Design Your Email Content → Preview (Revise if Needed) → Send A Test Email (Revise If Needed) → Save and Continue to Schedule and Send Campaign