How to Retarget Shopify Customers with Product Recommendations
Sendlane's deep data integration with Shopify allows you to send targeted emails to existing customers with product recommendations based on their previous purchases.
With this automation, you can send personalized product recommendations to your Shopify customers, so they can click through and quickly make a purchase, resulting in a seamless user experience for them, and more sales for you!
In this article, we will cover:
Before Getting Started
Prior to creating a recommended products automation, you'll need to have your Shopify integration completed.
Creating a Recommend Similar Products Automation
- Begin by clicking Automations on the left of your dashboard and clicking New Automation on the top right
- Choose the eCommerce tab within the template options and select Recommend similar products
- Once the pre-designed automation loads, click to configure the Product Purchased trigger details:
- Choose shop: Choose your Shopify store from the drop down menu
- Checkout is complete: You can choose if you wish to send this only after checkout is completed or not
- Order status: You have a few options to choose from, depending on when you wish to send this email to your customers (e.g. when the order is fulfilled, partial, restocked, etc.)
- Selected: You can choose the products that you want to trigger this automation
- Next, click on the Email action to edit/create the content that you'd like to send to your customer. Follow the prompts to complete all of the basic details, then continue along to the email design
- Inside of the Email Builder, if you go to Content, you'll see an Integrations section with a Product icon
- In order for the recommended products to be added to the content of your email, you will need to drag and drop the Product icon into the body of your email. Once you do that, a pop-up window will come up that will allow you to edit some of the options: the store, the number of products (up to 3) and also if you want Title, Price and Button to show up inside your email
- Once you click on Select Products, you will be prompted to actually choose the products you wish to recommend. Once you are done, simply click on Insert Products and that will add them to the body of your email
- Once you have completed the content for this email, click Save and Continue. Don't forget to hit Publish Email in the sidebar menu once you're finished!
- Continue building your automation by adding any other actions and communications you'd like to use. Depending on what your goals and objectives are, we recommend sending three emails over the next few days to encourage contacts to come back and complete a purchase.
- Last but not least, don't forget to set the automation to Active once you're done building out your funnel!
And that's it! Anytime someone purchases these specific products, they will trigger this automation and start receiving emails with more product recommendations!
Why are Contacts showing as unsubscribed immediately after completing a purchase?
If your Shopify checkout page pre-selects the marketing email opt-in checkbox, Contacts who uncheck the marketing email opt-in box during checkout will be unsubscribed from the List attached to your Shopify integration as soon as checkout is complete.
Automations → New Automation → eCommerce → Recommend similar products → Configure settings → Customize email → Save and continue → Publish Email → Build automation with actions & communications → Active