How to Use Google Analytics in Email Campaigns
Google Analytics gives you a simple way to measure the effectiveness of your email marketing campaigns through a full picture of your contact's activity.
If you are already using Google Analytics on your website, you have the ability to enable Google Analytics tracking links automatically in your Sendlane campaigns!
Before Getting Started
Please be sure that you already have Google Analytics setup with your website.
If you don't already have Google Analytics in place, or you would like to start using Google Analytics for your website, you can get more information and sign up for a free account here.
Enabling Google Analytics
Google Analytics tracking is super easy to add to each Campaign in Sendlane!
- From the Campaign Information page, toggle the Google Analytics setting to on
Enter the title for your campaign (This is how it will appear in Google Analytics)
- Click Next to continue designing the rest of your campaign's message then Save and Continue to move on
- Once you schedule your campaign any links that you add in your campaign will be tracked by Google Analytics
Only links that direct to pages on your website that have the Google Analytics script installed will be tracked by Google Analytics
When you view your campaign in Google Analytics the Source will be 'newsletter' the Medium will be 'email' and the Campaign will be the title you entered
Advanced Google Analytics Tracking
If you want to fully customize the campaign parameters in your links, you will need to use custom UTM (Urchin Tracking Module) tracking.
You can learn more about UTMs and custom URLs from the Google Analytics Help Center.
Once you are ready to set up your custom UTM tracking link, you can use Google's URL Builder which will generate a custom campaign URL that you can add to the links in your campaigns.
If you are using a custom URL you need to toggle the Sendlane Google Analytics off - the custom URL will be used instead. If you combine Sendlane's Google Analytics with custom UTM tracking, the reporting may be incorrect. We highly recommend only using one type of Google Analytics tracking.
Sendlane Google Analytics: New Campaign → Toggle Google Analytics On → Fill in Campaign Title → Next → Save and Continue → Schedule
Advanced Google Analytics: New Campaign → Next → Insert Custom URL into links in campaign → Save and Continue → Schedule
- Make sure you have the Google Analytics script installed in your websites where you are linking your URLs to
- New Google Analytics accounts may take a few days to start populating data
- Google Analytics account has to be set up and configured before you send out your campaign; Google Analytics doesn't work retroactively
- You can test your Custom UTM link by copying and pasting the URL you created into your web browser's address bar and pressing enter. If your link is set up properly you should see a record of this visit in your Google Analytics account
- Any link you create cannot contain any spaces
- The server of your website has to be able to process the parameters in the link, if not you will receive a 404 error