Sendlane Quick Start Guide
Our goal is to see you get results as quickly (and easily) as possible with our platform.
Now that you've activated your new Sendlane account, this Quick Start Guide will walk you through exactly how to finish setting up your account, and begin leveraging our powerful email marketing automation features to maximize your results!
Specifically, we'll go over the basics of how to:
- Create a List & Sender Profile
- Add Contacts
- Create a Popup Form
- Create an Automation
- Create and Send a Campaign Email
Create a List & Sender Profile
Your list organizes and stores your contacts, and your sender profile contains the information displayed to your audience such as your "from" email address and sender name.
- Navigate to Audience → Lists
- Click the pink New List button and choose a name for your list
- Next, you'll see a drop down for Sender where you can select Create New Sender
- Enter all of the necessary information on the New Sender screen, then click the pink Create button to finalize and save everything.
You cannot use a free email account like Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail for your From Email.
We are compliant with current data processing and privacy regulations which require all marketing emails to be sent from a paid, custom domain email address.
Now, you have both your Sender Profile and first List created!
If you're interested in learning more about Lists or Sender Profiles (including details about working with each feature, as well as settings and troubleshooting) please click through to visit each of these full length articles!
If you've already collected contacts in another platform, you can add or import those contacts right into your Sendlane account. If you don't have any contacts to add, skip this step!
- Head to Audience → List and select the list that you want to add contacts to
- Next, choose the option that works best for your situation:
- If you only have a few contacts to add, click Add Contact to manually enter the contact's information.
- If you have an entire list you'd like to add, click Import and follow the steps!
Sendlane is a permission-based platform. Each contact you add to your list must have provided consent prior to being added and receiving emails from you.
If you'd like more information about adding or importing contacts, please click through to visit our full length article!
Creating a Popup Form
Popups are a great, interactive tool that Sendlane offers to turn users who visit your website into contacts. If you plan on collecting contacts with a different method, skip this step!
- Navigate to the Popups menu and click on New form
- Select the type of popup form you'd like to use and click Next
- Name your new popup form (this is just for your own records, visitors will not see the name you enter here) and choose either single or double opt-in settings
Use the Content and Style sidebar options to customize your popup, and then click Next
- Enter the URL for your Thank you page, or use our built-in creator to design one, then click Next
- Use the Subscription List dropdown to select the list for your contacts to be added to once they subscribe
- Click Publish and you're all set!
Single opt-in will add contacts directly to your Sendlane account. Double opt-in will first send a confirmation email that contacts will need to open and click through before they are added to your Sendlane account.
Your completed popup is ready to be installed on your website!
If you're interested in learning more about popups (including details about working with each feature, adding the popup to your website along with settings and troubleshooting) please click through to visit the full length article!
Creating Your First Automation
An Automation is a series of actions that are triggered by a contact's behavior.
Here we will go over how to create a "Welcome Series" or on-boarding automation that will send out emails to your contacts automatically once they subscribe to your list.
- Head to Automations and click on New Automation
- Since this is your first automation, we recommend selecting the Welcome new contacts template (which is a pre-built automation funnel)
- Click on the pen icon at the top to change the name of your Automation if you'd like
- Click on the Subscribes to a list box to specify which list will trigger this automation when a contact is added to it
- Click on the email box underneath the trigger to create your first "Welcome" email which will be sent immediately after subscription. From the window that appears on the right, click Edit
- Click the plus sign below any box to add more emails or actions
- Once your automation is complete, be sure to switch to Active in the upper right hand corner
For more information about Automations (including details about working with each feature, as well as settings and troubleshooting) please click through to visit our full length article!
Creating and Sending a Campaign
Campaigns are a marketing tool used to send out one-time (broadcast style) emails to your audience.
Here's how to create a campaign:
- Head over to the Campaigns tab and click New Campaign
- Enter your Campaign information:
- In the Send To section, choose the List you'd like to send the campaign to by clicking the pink Add + button
- Click Save
- Next, choose from Sendlane's pre-designed templates, create your own custom template or start from scratch to build and design your campaign
- Click Save and Continue once you've finished building our your campaign
- Click Schedule and choose whether to save the campaign as a draft to send later, send the campaign immediately, or schedule to send at a later date or time
If you're interested in learning more about campaigns (including scheduling and rescheduling, viewing previously sent campaigns, deleting and duplicating campaigns along with information about statuses and troubleshooting) please click through to visit the full length article!
Additional Sendlane Resources
For helpful content on anything and everything relating to email marketing and marketing automations (best practices, tips & tricks and even case studies), check out the Sendlane Blog!
If you're a developer, you can also get familiar with our API Docs which outline all of the API calls available to you.
Last, but not least, if you hit any roadblocks you can always get in touch with our team or email marketing automation experts right here!