Segments can be a great tool to target certain contacts for campaigns, exclude certain contacts from receiving a campaign, and for identifying non-openers to keep your account clear of any non-engaging contacts. This can be done specific to a certain list or on a global scale of the account.
Before Getting Started
Prior to creating a segment, you should have created a list inside of your Sendlane account.
Next, make sure you have contacts on your list!
Finally, there must be something that 'identifies' these contacts to group them together, such as the date (or date range) that they subscribed, whether or not they have opened a campaign, whether or not they have clicked on a link, etc.
Segmenting a List
- Navigate to the Audience tab and click on Segments.
- Click the pink New Segment button in the top right corner prompting a pop up showing information needed to create a new segment.
- Name the segment and add the condition(s) you would like subscribers to be filtered by. You can specify if they should match “All” or “Any” of the specified conditions.
- Name of the Segment – Name your Segment for reference here.
- List – Here you can either select All Lists (Global) or select a specific list for your segment. All lists (Global) will check all subscribed contacts in your account vs a specific list.
- Matches – These are the conditions that you would like your contacts to be filtered by.You can specify if they should match “All” or “Any” of the specified conditions.
Please make sure to click on Save (top right), when you are done creating the segment.
Exporting Segmented Contacts
- Navigate to Audience → Segments
- Next, click on the title of the Segment you would like to export and a new page with all the subscribers in that segment will come up
- Finally, simply click on Download at the top
A pop up will appear, select either Export as CSV or Export as Text File. You will receive an email with a link that leads to the file of the segmented subscribers.
Deleting Segmented Contacts
- Navigate to Audience → Segments
- Next, click on the title of the Segment you would like to delete and a new page with all the subscribers in that segment will come up
- Here, simply click on Remove All at the top. This procedure works for both Global and List specific segments.
Removing contacts from a segment will remove these contacts from your entire Sendlane account. Be sure to review your segment before you proceed with removing the contacts.
Navigate to Audience → Segments. Go to the segment you would like to delete and click the drop-down arrow next to Edit. You will see Delete, select this button to delete the segment.
Below are more advanced segmentation options such as segmenting subscribers by email domains, custom fields, subscriber activity, as well as additional options for Shopify users.
Segmenting by Email
- To create a segment of subscribers who have the same email domain, such as Gmail addresses or Yahoo email addresses or any other email domain, select the following conditions: ‘Email address’ + ‘Contains’, then type the email domain you’d like to create the segment for.
Segmenting by Custom Fields
- When creating Subscription Web-forms, you are given the option to add Custom Fields to collect additional information on your subscribers. You can segment based on any Custom Field, as shown here.
Segmenting Based on Activity
- A great way to target your subscribers is by sending follow up emails based on their activity within your emails. Segments can be created based on whether or not a subscriber has opened a specific email, or any campaign in a particular time frame.
- You can create segments to notify existing customers of new products you know they’ll enjoy, based on their past purchases. This works great if you are using integrations like Shopify to track purchases. The screenshot below previews the conditions needed to set up this segment.
Segmenting Past Purchasers by Dollar Amount
- To sort customers who have made a purchase in your Shopify store, you can create a segment like the one below. Multiple conditions can be utilized to create more specific segments, such as “Total Spend” which will sort users based on if they meet a specific purchase requirement.
Segment List: Audience → Segment → New Segment → Name → List or Global → Any or All → Segment Conditions → Save
Export Segment: Audience → Segment → Download → .csv or .txt file → Export
Deleting Segmented Subscribers: Audience → Segment → Remove All
Deleting a Segment: Audience → Segment → Drop-down arrow → Delete
Segment Showing Zero Contacts
If a segment you've recently created is showing zero contacts, check the conditions you have in place. If you have multiple conditions, the AND/OR option is very important. If you have "AND" selected, both conditions must be met in order for a contact to appear within the segment. If "OR" is selected, either of the conditions will place a contact within the segment.