How to Create a Workflow
- What a Workflow is
- How to Create a Workflow
- Setting up a Series of Emails
- Workflow Settings and Actions
What is a Workflow?
A workflow is a series of steps that are automated by a “trigger”, an action that starts off other actions that follow. It can be used to send out a series of emails as users subscribe to your list, move subscribers from one list to another after a set period of time, etc.
Workflows are a great resource to send an ongoing email series to users as they Subscribe to your content. In the next few sections of this tutorial we will discuss all of the capabilities Workflows and how to use them.
How to Create a Workflow
1. First, navigate to the “Automations” tab inside the left navigation bar of your dashboard.
2. Select the “Add Automation” button in the upper right-hand corner.
3. Next, you will see Template options and the “Start From Scratch” option. The template options cover common setups for workflows. If you would like to create your own, go ahead and choose “Start From Scratch”, then choose “Workflow.”
4. If you have chosen “Start from scratch” you should see the following selections. Proceed to name your Automation > Select “Workflow” > Click “Next.”
- Subscribes to list – The workflow will begin when a user subscribes to a specific list of your choosing, you can learn more about creating a list here
- Submits a form – When a user subscribes to a list via a form the workflow will be triggered, you can learn more about forms here
- Event-Triggered – If you are using our event tracking feature a visit to the page with the event tracking code will trigger the workflow
- Tags – When a tag is added to or removed from a subscriber’s profile the workflow will trigger, you can learn more about tags here
- Another Workflow – This option will allow you to trigger this workflow from an action in a different workflow
- Multiple Conditions – This option will allow you to set more than one trigger for your workflow
6. After choosing what will trigger the workflow to start, choose the settings that follow that trigger, and select “Ok.”
Please Note: If you choose your workflow to trigger off of a tag, you will need to specify the From email and From name for emails to be sent with the workflow.
Setting up a Series of Emails
There are two ways to set up a series of emails (functioning like Autoresponders), you can either start with the template called “Welcome new subscribers” or use the following steps to create this setup manually.
1. Start by creating a workflow, most users use the trigger “Subscribes to List” if they are creating a series of emails. We will use this trigger for this example. Click the “Add Action” plus button to get started.
Please Note: It is important that this email is confirmed, and not in draft mode, otherwise it will not send out to subscribers.
4. You will continue adding “Send Email” and “Wait” actions until you have added all the emails you wish to send.
Please Note: It is important to set up your workflow before users starts subscribing to your list. Any preexisting users will not get pushed into the workflow, only new subscribers will.
Workflow Settings and Actions
- Send email – Allows you to create and send an email to subscribers of the list
- Subscribe – This action subscribes the user to another list
- Unsubscribe – This action unsubscribes the user from a list Please Note: If unsubscribing the user from the list the workflow triggered off of, make sure to add this as the last action in the workflow
- Wait – This action holds the subscriber at a certain point in the workflow based on the time chosen
- Notify Someone – Allows you to notify someone by email, if this action point is reached
- Start a Workflow – If a subscriber reaches this action they will be pushed into another workflow
- End this Workflow – Ends the current workflow
- End another workflow – Ends another chosen workflow
- If/Else – Allows you to add If/Else statements dependent on certain conditions
- Webhook – Allows you to send or receive data to another service via API
- Add Tag – This action allows you to add a tag to a subscriber
- Remove Tag – Allows you to remove a tag from a subscriber
- Goal – Allows you to set a goal for subscribers, if the goal is reached the workflow stops for that subscriber